One day, I took my 325 pound couch potato self to Disneyland for a vacation. It was around Christmas time in 2009 and I wanted to show the family a good time. Then, the unthinkable happened. My world came crashing down as I was kicked off of a ride in front of everyone because I was too big to fit in the seat. It was humiliating, embarrassing and unexpected. But, it changed my life.

I realized that my life needed to change. I also realized that I have missed out on so much in my own life because I never took control of my health. I missed out on serving in the military because I was too big, I missed becoming a police officer because I was too out of shape, and I missed achieving some of the dreams in my life.

Not any more. I threw away the fear of failure and dared to do something impossible. In one year, I lost over 100 pounds and did something that I never thought I could do – I ran a marathon. I achieved the impossible and it was the most amazing thing ever.

The next year, I traveled the country, seeing new cities 26.2 miles at a time on a marathon tour, all while training for the impossible - the title of IRONMAN!

On June 24, 2012, I crossed the Ironman finish line in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, listening to Mike Reilly announce me as an Ironman, after a long day and 140.6 miles.

I am continuing on my journey, getting through the ups and downs of maintaining a new, fit lifestyle. Life is good, and I want to live it to the fullest.

This blog celebrates our ability to achieve things that seem impossible.


Friday, June 18, 2010

Can't get off the plateau

The scale didn't move this morning and I am starting to get very frustrated. I am stuck at 255, a number that is way to high to be stuck at. I am working out and eating right, yet the number wont move down. I know there are plateaus but this is just really frustrating. I am going to just try and work through it and hopefully I will break through soon. I though for sure I would be below 250 by this weekend but I was wrong. I am so close, but I just can't seem to get there. For the first time since starting, my weight did not drop any from the last week's weigh in. I know that I have come a long way, but I still have a log way to go and I don't want to be stopped here.

My half marathon training schedule will be getting progressively tougher each week, so I should see some more weight loss soon, that will keep me going on this right now. A runner told me that there is nothing easy about a half marathon, that is why it is such an achievement to complete one, regardless of the time it takes. That is very true, and I plan to complete this one. I am still nervous, 13.1 miles seems like an impossibly long distance right now, but 3.1 miles did as well back in January and now I run at least that on a daily basis.

I hope that by November I am 220 or below and able to run the entire half marathon with a time of 2:15:00 or less. I think I can do that if I stay focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment