One day, I took my 325 pound couch potato self to Disneyland for a vacation. It was around Christmas time in 2009 and I wanted to show the family a good time. Then, the unthinkable happened. My world came crashing down as I was kicked off of a ride in front of everyone because I was too big to fit in the seat. It was humiliating, embarrassing and unexpected. But, it changed my life.

I realized that my life needed to change. I also realized that I have missed out on so much in my own life because I never took control of my health. I missed out on serving in the military because I was too big, I missed becoming a police officer because I was too out of shape, and I missed achieving some of the dreams in my life.

Not any more. I threw away the fear of failure and dared to do something impossible. In one year, I lost over 100 pounds and did something that I never thought I could do – I ran a marathon. I achieved the impossible and it was the most amazing thing ever.

The next year, I traveled the country, seeing new cities 26.2 miles at a time on a marathon tour, all while training for the impossible - the title of IRONMAN!

On June 24, 2012, I crossed the Ironman finish line in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, listening to Mike Reilly announce me as an Ironman, after a long day and 140.6 miles.

I am continuing on my journey, getting through the ups and downs of maintaining a new, fit lifestyle. Life is good, and I want to live it to the fullest.

This blog celebrates our ability to achieve things that seem impossible.


Monday, June 28, 2010

Running advice

I don't have any followers, so this is a shot in the dark. If there is anyone out there reading this who is a runner I am looking for a little advice.

I need to start drinking something as my runs are getting longer and I don't want to hit the wall. I try Gatorade and Powerade, but they are just too sweet and I don't care for them when I am running. Does anyone have any suggestions? Not being a runner and just now getting into it I am learning a lot about my body and how to get the most I can out of it, but I could easily go broke (even more so than now if that is possible) if I were to buy and try everything on the market for runners, so I am looking to make an educated pick when I buy things.

If you are a runner and reading this, feel free to comment on all things running, I will appreciate any advice!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Travis,

    Sorry, my comment doesn't pertain to running (I can't say I know anything about that topic), but I just wanted to say hi, and thanks for this great blog. I got your link through your comment on Banks Lee's site. I am going to WWoHP in October, and am now terrified that I won't fit on the Forbidden Journey ride. You and Banks are my inspiration to lose 30 pounds before my trip (then another 50 after that). :)I'll be checking your blog daily! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda:

    Thanks for posting a comment, it really helps to keep me going at this! While running is what I found works for me, it doesn't have to be something that you do. The important thing is to find something that works and keep at it. This Harry Potter ride issue has stirred up a lot of thoughts amongst people like us. Banks and yourself are taking the right attitude and looking at this as a positive thing an motivation to go forward.

    Check out some of my earlier posts, I talk a lot about what I have passed up in my life because of being out of shape. The Maliboomer ride at Disneyland was a wakeup call and got me going down the right path and now accomplishing what I never dreamed was possible.

    Flying and running are my thing, and they may not interest you and that is OK. This is more about bettering your life in general. One thing I can promise you is that, although it all starts with being able to hear the "3 clicks," you will achieve so much more than that.

    Best of luck! Hane you considered starting your own blog about your journey? I would sign up to follow it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I stumbled across your blog and read this entry so I hope to share some advice through my experiences. I agree, Powerade and Gatorade are too sweet, bu I can handle the Powerade Zero, sometimes I have to cut it with water. If you think about, you really only need Powerade/Gatorade as a way to restore electrolytes and sodium. I personally only have Powerade when I am on my bike for more than hour in one of my water bottle cages or when I finish my workout. If you are looking for something to provide you with some energy, I would look into gels or gu's over Powerade/Gatorade. When I am on a run that is longer than an hour or more than 5 miles, I usually take a Hammer Gel with me. I discovered Hammer Nutrition through my trainer and coaches and have had good luck with their products as other gels and gu's I have tried have been a little rough on my stomach. I really like Hammer Nutrition because their products are more natural and most of them are gluten free. Hammer Nutrition has Endurolytes, which is an Electrolyte replacement supplement that you can take in a pill form versus drinking Powerade or Gatorade. I have picked up a bottle, but I have yet to try them; however I have heard nothing but good things. I found all of Hammer Nutrition products at my local running store or REI.

    Good luck and feel free to reach out to me with any questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Lizzie (and for being the first follower of my blog!). I took a look at your blog and am very impressed. Triathlons! That is just too cool!

    I am going to get some of that Powerade Zero to try, thanks for the suggestion. This weekend some running enthusiasts I know are bringing me some gel samples to try so I can figure out what works for me.

    I never ran with gatorade before, but now that I am getting into and beyond the 10K range I need to carry something. I'm going to order some of that Hammer Gel online and give it a shot, sounds good!

    Thanks again for the advice.

    ReplyDelete