One day, I took my 325 pound couch potato self to Disneyland for a vacation. It was around Christmas time in 2009 and I wanted to show the family a good time. Then, the unthinkable happened. My world came crashing down as I was kicked off of a ride in front of everyone because I was too big to fit in the seat. It was humiliating, embarrassing and unexpected. But, it changed my life.

I realized that my life needed to change. I also realized that I have missed out on so much in my own life because I never took control of my health. I missed out on serving in the military because I was too big, I missed becoming a police officer because I was too out of shape, and I missed achieving some of the dreams in my life.

Not any more. I threw away the fear of failure and dared to do something impossible. In one year, I lost over 100 pounds and did something that I never thought I could do – I ran a marathon. I achieved the impossible and it was the most amazing thing ever.

The next year, I traveled the country, seeing new cities 26.2 miles at a time on a marathon tour, all while training for the impossible - the title of IRONMAN!

On June 24, 2012, I crossed the Ironman finish line in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, listening to Mike Reilly announce me as an Ironman, after a long day and 140.6 miles.

I am continuing on my journey, getting through the ups and downs of maintaining a new, fit lifestyle. Life is good, and I want to live it to the fullest.

This blog celebrates our ability to achieve things that seem impossible.


Friday, June 25, 2010

Unexpectedly back on the plateau

I don't get it, the scale this morning jumped up to 254.6, two and a half pounds up from yesterday. Just when I thought I had finally busted through the plateau, I'm drug back up there again. The worst of it is that I don't know why I gained so much, I am still eating right and had normal meals and am still working out properly.

This is frustrating. Tomorrow better have better numbers.

1 comment:

  1. Travis... If, in fact you are doing all the right things, then the scale is not important. The weight will come off. Your body is still burning fat but the scale weight will fluctuate due to water retention, food retention, and various environment issues. Getting weighed every day is a frustrating thing. A little known fact, but should be more well known, is that WHEN FAT STARTS TO LEAVE YOUR BODY, THE FAT IS TEMPORARILY REPLACED WITH WATER SO THAT THE CELLS DON'T GO INTO SHOCK. WATER IS HEAVIER THAN FAT! SO YOU COULD - AND WILL - SOMETIMES SHOW A GAIN ON THE SCALE!!!!!! This doesn't mean you gained weight. Again... if you are doing the right things, the weight will come off. You have to be patient and have an understanding of how the body works. So many people don't know this and as soon as they see the scale go up, they get frustrated and then eat the wrong things and --- thus, gain weight for real!!!! Just keep up the good work. The scale will reward you if you're patient!!!!!! :) Take it from one who knows. :) :) Good luck! glorgold

    ReplyDelete