One day, I took my 325 pound couch potato self to Disneyland for a vacation. It was around Christmas time in 2009 and I wanted to show the family a good time. Then, the unthinkable happened. My world came crashing down as I was kicked off of a ride in front of everyone because I was too big to fit in the seat. It was humiliating, embarrassing and unexpected. But, it changed my life.

I realized that my life needed to change. I also realized that I have missed out on so much in my own life because I never took control of my health. I missed out on serving in the military because I was too big, I missed becoming a police officer because I was too out of shape, and I missed achieving some of the dreams in my life.

Not any more. I threw away the fear of failure and dared to do something impossible. In one year, I lost over 100 pounds and did something that I never thought I could do – I ran a marathon. I achieved the impossible and it was the most amazing thing ever.

The next year, I traveled the country, seeing new cities 26.2 miles at a time on a marathon tour, all while training for the impossible - the title of IRONMAN!

On June 24, 2012, I crossed the Ironman finish line in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, listening to Mike Reilly announce me as an Ironman, after a long day and 140.6 miles.

I am continuing on my journey, getting through the ups and downs of maintaining a new, fit lifestyle. Life is good, and I want to live it to the fullest.

This blog celebrates our ability to achieve things that seem impossible.


Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cherish your life

Nine years ago today I was just starting law school and about a month into it.  A nervous first year student, I was on edge because of the sheer fact that only about 1/3 of the first year law students in my class would make it to the second year.  I was completely focused on school and that was my life.

I woke up and was getting ready to run out the door when one of my study group partner's called me and said to turn on the TV.  A plane had crashed into one of the towers of the World Trade Center in New York.  I thought that was terrible, but I had to get to school and I couldn't be late, so I left for the 30 minute drive to school.  I had news radio on in the car, listening to the details of the plane crash and hearing the speculation as to whether it was an accident or something else.  Then it happened.  I listened live as the second plane hit the other tower.  The radio then said "There is no question now, America is under attack."

So many thoughts swam through my head, but the prevalent thought was "I'm going to war."  I was not in the military, but this is how it always happened in history.  My grandfather, who served on a submarine in WWII, must have felt the same way when Pearl Harbor was attacked on December 7, 1941.  Everything else in life seemed so insignificant.  One of my good friends in law school, Tom, was a police officer with NYPD who had left to go to law school.  Two weeks later, he was back on the force in New York.

I didn't go to war, but the events of nine years ago changed all of our lives.  Thousands of innocent people lost their lives and I'm sure none of them thought that September 11 would be their last day on this earth.  Life is precious and fragile.  We are given so much opportunity in life and we need to take advantage of it.  Every day you wake up is a good day.  You have your health and can achieve anything and you never know when all of that will be taken away.  If you are overweight, take advantage of your life and change it.  Be thankful for every day you have.  Cherish your life.

Tomorrow I get to run 13.1 miles.  I will cherish every step.

No comments:

Post a Comment