One day, I took my 325 pound couch potato self to Disneyland for a vacation. It was around Christmas time in 2009 and I wanted to show the family a good time. Then, the unthinkable happened. My world came crashing down as I was kicked off of a ride in front of everyone because I was too big to fit in the seat. It was humiliating, embarrassing and unexpected. But, it changed my life.

I realized that my life needed to change. I also realized that I have missed out on so much in my own life because I never took control of my health. I missed out on serving in the military because I was too big, I missed becoming a police officer because I was too out of shape, and I missed achieving some of the dreams in my life.

Not any more. I threw away the fear of failure and dared to do something impossible. In one year, I lost over 100 pounds and did something that I never thought I could do – I ran a marathon. I achieved the impossible and it was the most amazing thing ever.

The next year, I traveled the country, seeing new cities 26.2 miles at a time on a marathon tour, all while training for the impossible - the title of IRONMAN!

On June 24, 2012, I crossed the Ironman finish line in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, listening to Mike Reilly announce me as an Ironman, after a long day and 140.6 miles.

I am continuing on my journey, getting through the ups and downs of maintaining a new, fit lifestyle. Life is good, and I want to live it to the fullest.

This blog celebrates our ability to achieve things that seem impossible.


Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Exercise: the best medicine

This morning I woke up not feeling too great. My weight ticked up to 238.3 as a result of not eating as healthy as I should be (something that I am going to work harder on today) and my knee ached a little. I debated scratching my 7 mile run this morning to get some rest. After all, it was 5:45 a.m. I knew that if I didn't get out the door by about 6 I would be late for work thanks to the increased mileage this week. To echo a fellow runner, the hardest part of the morning is kicking my butt outside to start the run.

I did get out the door about
6 and stretched out, thinking I would do shorter 3/4 mile loops around the local park to stay closer to home in case I had trouble running this morning. I started off and in the crisp morning air my gait was very rigid, my left knee trying to coax me to stop, turn around, and go back to bed for another hour. I was questioning whether or not I would actually complete the scheduled mileage today for the first time.

However, a funny thing happened. Around the first 3/4 mile loop, the aches in my knee disappeared and things smoothed out. The run started to feel great. I kept going and finished the 7 miles in a respectable 1:04:52. It was a good run, but the truly amazing part is what happened after the run. I walked home with my head held high and all the aches and pains and general crappy feeling has disappeared. I feel healthier now after the run than I did before the run. Even the knee that was concerning me feels 100% right now and a lot better than it did this morning or yesterday.

Exercise really is the best medicine. It got me going today and I'm really glad I kicked my butt out the door for the run this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to read the last week's posts and you're doing great, as I knew you would. Keep up the hard work, you're doing amazing and are an inspiration. I've started running again with my wife and daughter (jog stroller) and am really enjoying it. I'm even thinking about signing up for some events but am going to wait for a while and just enjoy the runs for now. Keep it up! BTW--You're doing San Jose Half in October, but are you planning to do a specific Marathon and when is that? Keep it up Travis--I have a feeling 100 lbs will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - I am registered to run the California International Marathon (www.runcim.org) in Sacramento, California on December 5 this year. In addition to the San Jose Half Marathon, I am also running a half marathon in Fresno, California, on November 7.

    ReplyDelete