One day, I took my 325 pound couch potato self to Disneyland for a vacation. It was around Christmas time in 2009 and I wanted to show the family a good time. Then, the unthinkable happened. My world came crashing down as I was kicked off of a ride in front of everyone because I was too big to fit in the seat. It was humiliating, embarrassing and unexpected. But, it changed my life.

I realized that my life needed to change. I also realized that I have missed out on so much in my own life because I never took control of my health. I missed out on serving in the military because I was too big, I missed becoming a police officer because I was too out of shape, and I missed achieving some of the dreams in my life.

Not any more. I threw away the fear of failure and dared to do something impossible. In one year, I lost over 100 pounds and did something that I never thought I could do – I ran a marathon. I achieved the impossible and it was the most amazing thing ever.

The next year, I traveled the country, seeing new cities 26.2 miles at a time on a marathon tour, all while training for the impossible - the title of IRONMAN!

On June 24, 2012, I crossed the Ironman finish line in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, listening to Mike Reilly announce me as an Ironman, after a long day and 140.6 miles.

I am continuing on my journey, getting through the ups and downs of maintaining a new, fit lifestyle. Life is good, and I want to live it to the fullest.

This blog celebrates our ability to achieve things that seem impossible.


Friday, September 10, 2010

Hoping for under 2 hours on Sunday's 13.1 mile run

Just as I expected, the scale is up by two pounds from last week.  However, I am back on the right track and I expected the scale to go up.  Now I have 13 pounds to go to the 100 pound mark. I will get there this year and meet my goal of reaching that point before the year is out.  When you go off the reservation as I did, that happens.  I'm not going to let it get to me and instead am looking forward to this Sunday's long run.

On Sunday I am running my third half marathon or longer run.  The first time I ran that far I was 8 minutes over 2 hours, the second time I crossed the 13.1 mile mark at just 6 minutes over 2 hours.  I'm getting closer to the 2 hour time for the half marathon and it would be really cool if I run this Sunday in under 2 hours.  The San Jose Half Marathon is getting really close now, just 23 days until the run.  I'm excited for it, but also a little nervous. There are going to be about 10,000 people running this race and then all of the spectators, family, workers, bands, and others are going to make this a very crowded and busy event.  I've been hearing that the start of these races always goes a little slow because it is so crowded at the start line, so it will be interesting to actually experience that.  This race has more participants than only other race I am running this year, so it will be good practice for the process of running a big event.

In May when I ran my first 5K, it was a nice small event.  My Aunt and Uncle who are big runners and ran the event with me were commenting on how nice it was to not be that crowded.  I'm a little nervous because of the sheer size of San Jose, but I'm sure I'll have fun there.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear about it!!

    Travis, you are braver than me...I can't weigh myself as often as you do...I would beat the crap out of myself and then it'd be only a matter of time before I was propped on the couch with a pint of mint chip in my hands. LOL.

    I can't wait to hear about the half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't sweat the scale, Travis, you're back on track and will be back down in no time if you keep things going. Good luck tomorrow with your run. Don't worry about San Jose, you'll probably have a lot of fun. I've done a couple big events like that (i.e. San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon) and the most important thing to do is remember what you did in your training--stick to YOUR pace, don't follow the wave of people. A lot of people start those events too fast and blow up halfway through. But the crowd and all of that is fun. Getting to the start on time can be a little tough/stressful, so just allow a lot of time and get there really early; that way you can enjoy yourself and relax. The crowd is a bunch of motivated, excited people so they're not bad people to spend a little time with.

    ReplyDelete