One day, I took my 325 pound couch potato self to Disneyland for a vacation. It was around Christmas time in 2009 and I wanted to show the family a good time. Then, the unthinkable happened. My world came crashing down as I was kicked off of a ride in front of everyone because I was too big to fit in the seat. It was humiliating, embarrassing and unexpected. But, it changed my life.

I realized that my life needed to change. I also realized that I have missed out on so much in my own life because I never took control of my health. I missed out on serving in the military because I was too big, I missed becoming a police officer because I was too out of shape, and I missed achieving some of the dreams in my life.

Not any more. I threw away the fear of failure and dared to do something impossible. In one year, I lost over 100 pounds and did something that I never thought I could do – I ran a marathon. I achieved the impossible and it was the most amazing thing ever.

The next year, I traveled the country, seeing new cities 26.2 miles at a time on a marathon tour, all while training for the impossible - the title of IRONMAN!

On June 24, 2012, I crossed the Ironman finish line in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, listening to Mike Reilly announce me as an Ironman, after a long day and 140.6 miles.

I am continuing on my journey, getting through the ups and downs of maintaining a new, fit lifestyle. Life is good, and I want to live it to the fullest.

This blog celebrates our ability to achieve things that seem impossible.


Friday, September 3, 2010

Let the countdown begin - 11 more pounds until the 100 pound mark!

It is very exciting to be so close to reaching a really big goal. 

The scale told me I was 235.5 this morning, only about 11 pounds from the 100 pound mark.  I still am in a state of disbelief when I think that I have lost 89 pounds on this journey so far.  The old 325 pound me seems so far away and unrecognisable, but when I look at the fact I was there just this January, it seems like just yesterday.

Only 35 weeks have gone by since I set out on this journey.  A lot has happened since then.  I ran my first ever running event, took my first several flight lessons, ran my second ever event, became sponsored by a couple of great companies, signed up for two half marathons and a full marathon, and not to mention buying a whole new wardrobe out of necessity.  The old me had to shop at big and tall stores (and not for the "tall" stuff mind you) and none of the old clothes I have, even the stuff that was a little tight, fits in any sort of an acceptable manner.  I was 325 pounds, size 50x30 pants, size 58+ suits, and an XXXL shirt size.  Now, I am 236 pounds, size 36x32 or 38x32 pants , size 44 or 46 suits, and L shirt size.  What a difference 8 months can make.

The other day I put on one of my favorite polo shirts.  It is a nice blue sport shirt with the Disney Cruise Line logo that I had picked up on my honeymoon in October of 2007.  It was a 3XL shirt and I remember when I found it in the cruise store on the ship.  I was ecstatic that they actually had a shirt in my size, that usually didn't happen.  On top of that, it was on clearance (I think because of the size).  It felt great to wear and was long enough to cover my stomach, a reoccurring problem back then.  Well, I can't wear that shirt anymore.  I put it on the other day and it looked like a dress, going all the way down to my knees.  So, another shirt gets put in the goodwill donation box.  A bittersweet farewell to an old friend - something that I think was my favorite because it always reminded me of the fabulous time my wife and I had on our honeymoon and how lucky I am to be married to such a wonderful woman.  I was talking to the wife about this and she said "we'll just have to go and get you another one!"  So, I guess that means I have another Disney cruise in my future.

As much as I loved that shirt I am gladly trading it in for the new body I have made so far and am continuing to create.  There was a lot of good in my life back then, but with the lifestyle changes I have made now, there is even more good in my life and hopefully changing my lifestyle will help me live a good while longer to enjoy it all.

1 comment: