One day, I took my 325 pound couch potato self to Disneyland for a vacation. It was around Christmas time in 2009 and I wanted to show the family a good time. Then, the unthinkable happened. My world came crashing down as I was kicked off of a ride in front of everyone because I was too big to fit in the seat. It was humiliating, embarrassing and unexpected. But, it changed my life.

I realized that my life needed to change. I also realized that I have missed out on so much in my own life because I never took control of my health. I missed out on serving in the military because I was too big, I missed becoming a police officer because I was too out of shape, and I missed achieving some of the dreams in my life.

Not any more. I threw away the fear of failure and dared to do something impossible. In one year, I lost over 100 pounds and did something that I never thought I could do – I ran a marathon. I achieved the impossible and it was the most amazing thing ever.

The next year, I traveled the country, seeing new cities 26.2 miles at a time on a marathon tour, all while training for the impossible - the title of IRONMAN!

On June 24, 2012, I crossed the Ironman finish line in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, listening to Mike Reilly announce me as an Ironman, after a long day and 140.6 miles.

I am continuing on my journey, getting through the ups and downs of maintaining a new, fit lifestyle. Life is good, and I want to live it to the fullest.

This blog celebrates our ability to achieve things that seem impossible.


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My superhero costume

By day, I am just a mild mannered attorney. I go to work in a suit and tie just like all my colleagues. However, in the early morning hours I have a different persona. I get up early, don my partially spandex compression shirt, put on some lightweight running shorts with reflective stripes, strap on my utility belt, and wrap my magical satellite watch around my wrist. A little stretching, and then I am off. Not to fight injustice or crime, that comes later in the day, but off to do something else even more amazing. With a speed and endurance not expected from an ordinary guy like me, I blaze a path to accomplishing the impossible. For those moments, I am a superhero!

Now that I am back from my morning run, the costume has come off and I an just ordinary Travis C., sitting down and writing my thoughts for the day. My run today was a 10K (6.2 mile) run and, while I didn't set a personal record, I was within seconds of it and blazingly fast finishing in 54:54. As I put on my running shirt this morning, I was chuckling that I was actually wearing something with spandex in it. That is when I started to think of the superhero analogy. 8 months ago I could barely walk a mile, now, I am running 10K's like they are nothing. I was light on my feet and it felt like I was flying through it. The best part is that this was not a superpower I was given at birth, but rather one I had earned through a lot of sweat equity (88 pounds of it so far). When you earn something, you appreciate it more than if you are just given it.

So, to all those who are reading my blog: Never fear! Travis C. is here! OK - that was a little corny, but, you get the idea. The best part of all this is that you too can be a superhero. Put in the time and the effort to better your life and, 8 months form now, you too can join the ranks of the superhero league of which I am a charter member. Not a sidekick, but a full hero. If I can get here (and go beyond) so can you!

Once again, life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment