One day, I took my 325 pound couch potato self to Disneyland for a vacation. It was around Christmas time in 2009 and I wanted to show the family a good time. Then, the unthinkable happened. My world came crashing down as I was kicked off of a ride in front of everyone because I was too big to fit in the seat. It was humiliating, embarrassing and unexpected. But, it changed my life.

I realized that my life needed to change. I also realized that I have missed out on so much in my own life because I never took control of my health. I missed out on serving in the military because I was too big, I missed becoming a police officer because I was too out of shape, and I missed achieving some of the dreams in my life.

Not any more. I threw away the fear of failure and dared to do something impossible. In one year, I lost over 100 pounds and did something that I never thought I could do – I ran a marathon. I achieved the impossible and it was the most amazing thing ever.

The next year, I traveled the country, seeing new cities 26.2 miles at a time on a marathon tour, all while training for the impossible - the title of IRONMAN!

On June 24, 2012, I crossed the Ironman finish line in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, listening to Mike Reilly announce me as an Ironman, after a long day and 140.6 miles.

I am continuing on my journey, getting through the ups and downs of maintaining a new, fit lifestyle. Life is good, and I want to live it to the fullest.

This blog celebrates our ability to achieve things that seem impossible.


Thursday, September 23, 2010

Today's fast 4 mile run (5K mark in 24:30)

This morning I went out for my short 4 mile training run feeling pretty good. I started off the run and everything felt in sync and I was going pretty fast so I pushed to keep my speed up. The result is that I crossed the 5K mark with a new personal record of 24:30, running the 5K at a pace of 7:54 per mile. At that point I was running out of steam because I had been pushing for speed so hard, so I couldn't maintain that pace and finished the 4 miles in 32:35, about 8:08 per mile overall.

It was a good run today, but the interesting thing is that, at about 2 miles, I knew I was pushing a little too hard and started to think it would be OK to run a 5K today instead of the full planned 4 miles. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think I would have been worse off had I quit at the 5K mark, but I knew that would take a psychological toll if I missed my planned mileage for the first time in my training. So, I kept running, just a little slower, and finished all 4 miles.

I'm really glad I didn't quit early and pushed through it. The important thing with a training plan is that you stick with it and I did just that today.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you're flying Travis! That's awesome. I have never run a 5k that fast and certainly not while training for a Half or a Full marathon, but I've read that interval training like that can be very beneficial. That's awesome, congratulations! I'm going for a 5k run tonight with my daughter and my wife. My wife is starting to get faster; we went for a 5k jog the other night and I didn't have to wait up as much as before. Eventually, she'll probably get back to running faster than me again, which is funny because before a couple of years ago when we started running together, she could never run--she would make it about 20 feet then start walking. Keep up the great work--you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete